The StratoQ virtual printer for Windows supports a silent installation mode where no user intervention is necessary. This can be done via the /S switch when running the exe installer, or you can use the msi.
1. Administrator pushes out the StratoQ MSI package via GPO. The virtual printer is installed with elevated privileges as the computer boots up and the StratoQ printer is made available to all users on that PC. For more information on how to push out software via GPO, see this FAQ.
The following happens during the installation.
- The application directories are set, and the components are extracted. Program Files and Program Files x86 for the application and the virtual printer converter. Ghostscript is installed as a the default PDF conversion tool in the C:\Program Files (x86)\GPLGS directory, although other converters can be used here as well.
- The StratoQ printer port is registered
- The StratoQ logical virtual printer is created
- The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Stratoq entry is set
NOTE: if users are local administrators of their machines you can also run the standard installer via a logon script with the /A switch to perform a silent installation. This will perform the installation via the user context.
2. A logon script (also pushed out through GPO) is executed after login prompts the users for registration when they login.
This login script runs the StratoQ user registration app. You can write a script or simply run the user registration exe via GPO. This should run as the logged-on user context (NOT ADMIN!). The app will have been installed on the local PC during the original MSI setup.
C:\Program Files\StratoQPrinterStratoQ Printer User Setup v2.0.exe
If you would like to control which login provider option the user sees you can use the "provider=" switch. The values are microsoft and google. For example,
C:\Program Files\StratoQPrinterStratoQ Printer User Setup v2.0.exe -provider=google
You can also set the server so the user does not have to select one. This is a string field. For example,
C:\Program Files\StratoQPrinterStratoQ Printer User Setup v2.0.exe -server=app.stratoq.com
This step can also be skipped and the users will be prompted to register the first time they submit a job to the StratoQ printer. An entry is set in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Stratoq where the logged-on user's information is stored. The StratoQ app supports multi-user context so that multiple users can share the same PC without having to authenticate every logon. If a new local user submits a print job and the StratoQ app does not have a user entry for them, the app will ask for authentication.
3. The user authenticates via Microsoft Online or Google
4. The user submits a print job to the virtual printer and it is sent to the My Prints Queue. The app will automatically determine whether this is an internal My Prints queue or a Google Cloud Print printer, and it will set the destination accordingly.